Surprise your valentine by preparing this age old recipe. Surnoli is a traditional breakfast recipe of south canara,it is also called as bread dosa or buttermilk dosa. This is usually prepared if you have left over buttermilk or curds in excess. Usually we make this by adding jaggery.
Here I am giving both sweet and normal dosa version.
Dosa rice – 3 cups
Fenugreek seeds – 2 tsp.
Beaten rice /poha – 1 ½ cup
Salt – to taste
Buttermilk /curd – 2 cup
Grated coconut – from half coconut or 2 fist full.
Eno fruit salt – 1 tsp. each (for sweet/normal version)
Grated jaggery – according to taste (2 to 3tbl sp) (For sweeter version)
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp. (for sweeter version)
– Wash dosa rice, fenugreek and beaten rice twice; discard water. Pour curds and soak this for 3 to 4 hours.
– Grind this in to a smooth paste by adding coconut and salt to an idly batter consistency(little thicker than normal dosa)
– If butter milk is very sour add milk while grinding or else you can add water too (if batter is too thick )
– Now divide this batter into two, take out one portion of batter into a steel vessel in which you keep it for fermenting. This is our normal dosa batter.
– For sweeter version, add turmeric and jaggery to the mixer jar and grind until it is homogenous.
– Remove this batter to another vessel and keep it for fermentation.
– Next day morning add 1 tsp. Eno fruit salt to both the batter and leave it aside for 10 min.
– Make a dosa by pouring one serving spoon of the batter on hot iron griddle, don’t spread. You will see thousands of holes on upper surface, smear with butter and cook this in a low flame by closing it with a lid.
– Cook this dosa only on one side and don’t flip.
– Spongy bread dosa is ready to serve and indulge in it with homemade butter or any chutney. Here I have served this with Onion-coconut chutney.
Read full post: Surnoli: (Bread dosa/ Buttermilk dosa)