Mango is THE fruit of choice when it comes to Indian desserts and beverages. Mango lassi and mango kulfi are just 2 traditional recipes much beloved throughout the world.
What if I tell you that you can make mango ice cream with just 4 ingredients and no ice cream machine? And what if you top the ice cream with luscious sweet berries, honey roasted cashew nuts and sticky chocolate syrup to make the most amazing mango ice cream sundae ever? It is a delicious treat, pleasing the young and old alike!!
For mango ice cream:
Ripe mangoes – 3 large or 4 medium mangoes
Half and half or heavy cream – 2 cups
Sweetened condensed milk – 1 cup
Powdered sugar – 1/2 cup (or as needed, depending on the sweetness of the mangoes)
For honey roasted cashew nuts:
Butter – 1 1/2 tbsp
Cashew nuts – 1 cup
Honey – 2 tbsp
Cayenne pepper powder – a pinch (or as per taste)
Salt – to taste
To assemble each serving of sundae:
Mango ice cream – 3 small scoops
Fresh raspberries – 5-6
Honey-roasted cashew nuts – 6-8
Chocolate sauce – to drizzle on top
Mango Ice Cream:
1. Peel and slice the mangoes. Blend them to a pulp. Strain this pulp if the mangoes are too fibrous. I had slightly more than 3 cups of strained pulp. You can use 3 cups of canned pulp as well.
2. In a large blender, combine the half and half, condensed milk and mango pulp, adding powdered sugar as required. We add powdered sugar since it dissolves easily and you will not end up with a grainy texture. You can also do this in a large mixing bowl with a whisk or hand-held beater.
3. Pour the mango ice cream mixture into a freezer safe bowl. Cover and freeze for 1-2 hours till the edges begin to freeze. Take the ice cream out and break it up. Blend/whisk till creamy and return to the bowl. You can do this partial-freeze/blend routine once more if you have time, otherwise simply freeze the ice cream for 6-8 hours or overnight.
4. Let ice cream stand on the counter-top for 4-5 minutes before scooping and serving.
Honey Roasted Cashews:
5. Pre-heat the oven to 350 deg.F and line an 8″ or 9″ baking pan with foil. Place butter in the pan and melt it in the oven.
6. Meanwhile, combine the cashew nuts with honey till all the nuts are coated with the honey and sticky to touch. Sprinkle cayenne powder over them. Transfer to the hot baking pan and toss with the butter. Spread the cashew nuts in a single layer and bake for 8-10 minutes or till they are golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and sprinkle some salt over them. Cool in pan for a couple of minutes, then remove to a plate and cool completely. Once cooled, store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Mango Ice Cream Sundae:
8. Place three scoops of ice cream in a bowl or dessert plate. Scatter the berries and cashew nuts on top. Generously drizzle chocolate sauce on top. Repeat for as many servings as you need. Serve immediately.
This recipe makes 6 cups of ice cream, enough for 6-8 servings.