(Apricot Pudding) / (An Indian dessert made from dried apricots stewed in honey accompanied with Fresh Cream and Vanilla Ice cream.
Serves: 02 Pax.
Cuisine: Hyderabadi- Indian
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients & Quantity
Dried apricots – 300 gm.
Sugar- 45 gm
Honey- 20 ml (If you want to avoid using sugar then add only honey 100 ml)
Water-2 ½ cups
Kewra water / Screw pine natural essence- a few drops.
Lemon Juice- 02 ml
Almonds, blanched, peeled and slivered-10 gm.
Pistachio nuts, blanched, peeled and slivered – 10 gm.
Apricot kernels: 10 gm.
Vanilla Ice-cream- 02 medium sized scoops (Optional)
Fresh thick cream (Whipped) – 60 ml.
1. For Preparing Khubani Ka Meetha – Wash the apricots and boil in 2 ½ cups of water till mushy.
2. De-seed the apricots, chop 3/4th of the apricots and ¼ th cut into halves and place in a pan along with the water it was soaked add sugar and honey.
3. Cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, till the sugar dissolves and the mixture becomes pulpy and blended. Keep the bigger apricots aside and puree the rest 3/4th apricots. Cook the puree mixture thickens and starts to bubble, now add the reserved stewed apricot halves. Add the kewra water / natural screw pine essence.
4. Add lemon juice and stir well.
For plating the dish:
5. Transfer into a serving dish and let them chill.
6. Serve cold ,accompanied with ice-cream(Optional).
7. Top with freshly whipped thick cream.
8. Garnish with blanched almond and pistachio nuts slivers and apricot kernels.
Chef Tips for preparing Khubani Ka Meetha:
1. It may also be served warm, if desired then do not chill.
2. To enhance the flavour, apricots may be stewed in only honey i.e. no sugar then use 100ml. I personally suggest using only honey.
3. To further enhance the flavor and colour you may add ½ gm. of Saffron strands steeped in a little hot milk or hot water.
4. Do not discard the Apricot kernels, Remove the kernels and blanch them, remove the skin and set aside the kernels for garnishing.
After topping with freshly whipped cream it may be topped with a little honey.