A Very popular and all time favorite food, which is so so delicious and mouthwatering. I am a diehard fan of Dahi Vada. That delicious Sweet and little Spicy Tamarind chutney, Loads of beaten Yogurt and some chili powder, Chaat Masala and black salt..Thats all you need to make this gorgeous Dahi Vada.
For the Vadas
1/2 cup Urad dal, soaked for 4 hours
1/4 tsp Soda
salt to taste
For Tamarind Chutney:
200 gms dates
100 gms Tamarind
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp roasted cumin seeds powder
1/4 tsp black salt
salt to taste
1. Wash and drain the urad dal.
2. Grind together the urad dal, and salt in a mixer or food processor to a coarse paste.
3. Add the soda to the urad dal paste and mix well till the batter is light and fluffy. Add a little water if required.
4. Wet your hands and take 2 tablespoons of the batter on your palm and shape into a circle, Deep fry in hot oil on a slow flame till the Vadas are golden brown for about 10 minutes.
5. Drain on absorbent paper.
6. Remove seeds from the dates and tamarind, wash and add water. Leave for an hours then Cook it for 5 minutes. Thereafter, blend in a liquidizer and strain.
7. Add the chili powder, cumin seed powder and salt. Mix well.
8. Soak the deep fried Vadas in water for about 45 minutes.
9. Just before serving, drain and squeeze out the excess water.
10. Arrange the Vadas on a serving dish and top with beaten curd. Garnish with chilli powder, cumin seed powder and Black salt, Chaat masala and serve with tamarind chutney.
Full recipe: Dahi Vada