“Khandeshi Dal”— definitely a new name for almost everyone, specially who is not familiar from typical Maharastrian cuisine. Yes, Khandeshi Cuisine is one of the Maharasrian Regional Cuisine. Khandesh is in Maharashtra. Khandeshi cuisine is quite spicy, simple and flavorful. I’m going to share, one of the simple but delicious recipe of Dal today from a unique Khandeshi Cuisine. A good replacement to regular Dal.. The aroma of the Pakka-Masala being roasted is truly amazing and that’s the essence of this recipe.. Try it once and I am sure you would love to add this Dal more often in your daily meal..
1 cup Mix dal(masoor dal, tuvar dal, urad dal, chana dal)
2 tablespoon whole green Moong
1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
2 tablespoon Oil
1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
1-2 Dry red chillies
3 teaspoon Lemon juice
3 tablespoon chopped Cilantro(dhania)
Salt to taste
For Pakka Masala;
1 teaspoon Oil
1/4 cup Dry grated Coconut
1/2 cup Sliced Onions
1 1/2 tablespoon Dhana-jeeru (coriander-cumin powder)
3-4 Dry Kashmiri Red chillies
1 small stick of Cinnamon
2-3 Black peppercorns
3-4 cloves of Garlic
For Pakka Masala;
* Heat the oil in a pan.
* Add grated coconut and sliced onions, sauté for 3-4 minutes.
* Add dry red chillies, dhana-jeeru, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and black peppercorn.
* Sauté for another 2-3 minutes on low-medium flame.
* Add garlic and sauté on medium flam for few seconds.
* Turn off the stove.
* Let it cool down completely.
* Once cooled, blend in a mixer or in a blender to a smooth powder/paste and keep aside.
* Clean, wash and soak the mix dals and moong in a water for atleast 30-40 minutes.
* Pressure cook dal and moong with 2 cups of water, salt and turmeric powder.
* Boil Dal & Moong well.
* Add 1/2 of the prepared Pakka masala powder/paste in to dal, mix well and keep aside.
* Heat the 2tbls oil in a pan.
* Add mustard seeds, when the seeds crackle, add the dry red chillies and bayleaf.
* Sauté on medium flame.
* Add the prepared Dal mixture, mix well and cook.
* Cook for 3-4 minutes, and stir continues.
* Add some more Pakka masala if you want more flavors and spice.
* Add lemon juice and chopped cilantro.
* Adjust the salt.
* Cook on low flame for couple of minutes more and turn off the stove.
* Garnish with some chopped cilantro and serve it immediately..
Eat Healthy, Work Hard, Build Faith, Worry Less!!!
Full recipe: Khandeshi Dal