Zarda pulao or sweet rice is a popular dish of South Asia. It is also popular as meethe chawal in Punjab, kangra valley and many states of India. This pulao is so aromatic with saffron strands and vibrant yellow colour and mild fragrance and also its name.
Rice/chawal – 1 cup
Sugar – 1 cup
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee – 3 tbsp
Cloves / Laung – 4
Cardamom / Hari Elaichi – 4
Black Cardamom / Moti Elaichi – 2
Dry fruits – 1/2 cup (I have used cashew, almonds, raisins and chironji)
Saffron / Kesar – 1/4 tsp
Saffron food color – A Pinch
Rose water – 1.5 tbsp
Milk – 1/2 cup
Water – 1.5 cup
1. Soak rice in water for 1 hour.
2. Mix milk, food colour, kesar, rose water and sugar in a bowl.
3. Heat 4-5 cups of water in a pan. Once it comes to boil, add the soaked rice without water.
4. Cook till the rice is about 80 % done, then strain the water and mix half of desi ghee.
5. Heat the remaining half of desi ghee in a pan. Add dry fruits, fennel seeds and fry till golden-brown.
6. Add whole spices and fry for about half a minute. Add the milk mixture and boil.
7. Add the rice and cook on low flame for 10-12 minute with cover.
8. Mix rice with a fork for better presentation.
9. Garnish with few chopped almonds and Serve hot.
Read full post: Zarda Pulao Recipe