Nankhatai is a popular sweet cookie recipe. It is light and flaky cookies. Make them in bulk and store in air tight container to enjoy them for next few days.
All Purpose Flour/Maida – 1 cup
Gram Flour/Besan – 1/4 cup
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Fine Sooji/Semolina/Rava – 2 tsp
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
Desi Ghee (semi solid) or butter at room temperature – 1/2 cup
Powdered Sugar/Icing sugar – 1/2 cup [add as per taste]
Dahi/Curd/Yogurt – 1 tsp (optional)
Milk – 1 to 2 tbsp
Few grated Pista – 5 to 6 nos
1. Cream the ghee and powdered sugar with a hand whisk or electric mixer or blender. The mixture should become smooth, light and creamy.
2. Sieve the the following dry ingredients – all purpose flour, besan, baking powder and baking soda.
Keep the sifted dry ingredients aside.
3. Add curd to the creamed ghee+sugar mixture, its just a optional. Mix very well.
4. Now add the sifted dry ingredients and also add the sooji, cardamom powder into it.
5. Gently mix everything, do not knead. Just mix and gather to a smooth dough, then add 1 tbsp of milk. Mix lightly and bring the mixture to a dough.
6. Pinch medium sized balls from the dough. Roll them evenly in your palms and slightly flatten them and roll into the grated pista.
7. Place the cookies in a baking tray. I added the baking paper in tray. Keep some space between them as they expand while baking.
8. Bake the nankhatai in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C for 20-23 mins till light golden. Remove and place them on wire racks.
9. When cooled, store the nankhatai in an air tight container.
10. Enjoy it with your tea 🙂
Read full post: Nankhatai Recipe