Yes, we all love Chana bhatura but don’t we all worry about oozing oil and all-purpose flour?
We will see how I achieved a healthy version .You can call this as a “cheat version” as well 😉
First we will see how to make Low-calorie Bhatura:
Luke warm water – 1 cup
Sugar- 1 tsp
Dry yeast – 2 pinches
Curd – 1cup
Chiroti rawa /very fine rawa – 1 cup
Whole wheat flour – Sufficient to knead the dough.
Oil – 2 tsp.
Salt to taste
Now we will see how to prepare Chana Masala/Chole:
Kabuli Chana -2 cups (Soaked overnight)
Tea powder – 1tsp
Onion – 3 (chopped)
Ginger – 1 inch (chopped)
Garlic – 8 to 10 cloves (chopped)
Tomatoes – 2 to 3 (according to its size)
Oil – 3 tbl spoon
Jeera – 1 tsp
Bay leaf -1
Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Red chilly powder – 2 ½ tsp
Salt to taste.
Curd – 2 tbl sp
Coriander leaves –for garnishing.
Method: Low-calorie Bhatura:
-Take 1 cup lukewarm water, add 1 spoon sugar, 2 pinches of yeast mix it nicely. Close the lid and keep it aside for 10 min, it will start bubble.
TO this yeast water, add 1 cup curd, salt, 2 tsp oil. Mix in 1 cup chiroti rawa and sufficient whole wheat flour. Knead this like a chapatti dough, close and keep it aside for 2 hours. It will rise and become double. Now take one small ball and make like a chapati and cook this in a tawa..if u want you can apply little oil or butter while cooking. Or u can keep it dry like pulkha. This tastes really soft and nice.
Method: How to make Chana Masala/Chole:
1) Soak 2 cups of chana previous night . Next day take this chana ,wash and pour fresh water , one spoon of tea powder tied in a small cloth ,salt and cook until it is smooth (almost 3 to 4 whistles) keep aside.
2) Take chopped onions, ginger and garlic in a mixer jar and churn(don’t make paste) it nicely and keep aside.
3) Now take tomatoes in a mixer jar and churn this as well and keep it aside.
4) When it is ready, take little cooked chana (2 bl sp) and water make a paste and keep aside..(We will use this in the end)
5) Now take that same cooker ( remove chana and cooked water out and keep it aside) ,rinse once and keep this on a gas flame ,close the lid (don’t put weight ) when it is HOT ,remove the lid add onion ,garlic and ginger mix nicely and again close the lid, after 2 minute open the lid and add tomato and mix nicely. Immediately tomato will start leaving its water and will start cooking. When water evaporates ,add 3 tbl sp of oil and add jeera ,bay leaves , cinnamon ,coriander powder , red chilly powder and mix nicely and add little salt (very little ,because chana and cooked water has salt in it) ,fry till oil separates from the sides.
6)Now add cooked chana with cooked water ,mix nicely. When it starts boiling add 2 tbl sp of curd and sufficient water, now you can check for salt or masala. Close the lid ,cook for 3 whistles.When pressure releases ,open ,add ground chana paste and give one boil. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Your “healthy” chana batura is ready !
Read full post: Low calorie Chana Bhatura