Holi is almost here, the festivals of colors is incomplete with special delicacies. There are numerous recipes prepared during this festival.This is a quick and easy version of gajar halwa recipe, which is made with condensed milk or milkmaid, ghee and nuts. Gajar halwa is one of the most popular Indian dessert. It is also known as Carrot halwa.
Grated Carrot/ gajar – 1.5 kg approximately 8 cups
Desi ghee/clarified butter – 6 tbsp
Cardamom powder – 1 to 2 tsp
Sweetened condensed milk – 1 tin (i used amul mithai maid 400 gms)
Sugar – 2 tbs (its optional)
Chopped Cashew nuts – 2 tbsp
Golden raisins – 3 tbsp
Few Pistachios for garnishing
Preparation Method :
1. Rinse, peel and grate the carrots with a hand held grater.
2. Heat 6 tbsp of desi ghee in a kadai, add the grated carrots.
3. Saute the carrots till they turn tender. Keep on stirring in intervals while sauting the carrots.
4. Then add the condensed milk.
5. Stir very well and wait for a boil….stir..stir..stir !!
6. Add the cardamom powder and golden raisins.
7. Stir again and simmer the halwa on a low flame stirring often. Add the chopped cashew nuts.
8. Taste your halwa (sweetness), if you feel it is less sweet, add 2tbsp of sugar in it, if not ignore it (I added because my carrots and milkmaid is not sweet according to our taste buds) and mix well.
9. Scratch the sides of the halwa.
10. Continuously stirring till the mixture reduces and dries up.
11. Serve gajar halwa hot or warm or chilled and garnish with chopped cashew nuts and pistachios.
Read full post: Gajar Halwa with Condensed Milk