How many of you like the Indian style bakery biscuits like nankhatai ?? Cumin cookies are typically Indian style biscuits which are heavily flavored with rich aroma of cumin. Little sweet and little salty biscuits, I love to dip them in my chai, so yum!
All purpose flour/Maida – 1 cup
Cumin seeds/Jeera – 1 tbsp
Milk (at room temperature)- 4 tbsp or 1/4 cup
Powdered Sugar – 1/4 cup
Unsalted Butter – 1/2 cup
Baking powder – 1/4 tsp
Baking soda – A pinch(optional)
Salt – 1/8 tsp
1. Preheat the oven to 170 C degrees.
2. In a baking tray, take 1 tbsp of cumin seeds and microwave them for 1 minutes or till you get a nice fragrance from them. Set aside.
3. Sieve refined flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda and keep aside.
4. Take a big bowl and add soft butter (at room temp) and sugar and mix it well to make a smooth cream.
5. Then add the 3/4 tsp of roasted cumin and the flour mixture and mix properly. Reserve the remaining cumin seeds to sprinkle on top of the cookies.
6. Add some milk in the mixture to make it in a dough.
7. Now make a ball from the dough. Cling wrap the ball keep it in a fridge for 10-15 minutes.
8. Put a cling wrap(in which cookie dough is wrapped) or butter paper or polythene sheet on a flat surface. Roll to make a smooth medium thick chapati.
9. Cut into round or any shape ( I used 4 star shapes and rest of them is circle)
10. Spread a butter paper in the baking sheet and arrange biscuits over it and add remaining roasted cumin seeds on top of the cookies.
11. Bake for about 18-20 minutes, do keep a watch after 15 minutes as each oven have little different setting.
12. When biscuit become light golden in color, remove from the oven. Let the biscuit cool down completely
13. Serve it with a cup of tea or glass of milk. Store in a airtight jar.
Read full post: Eggless Cumin Cookies Recipe | Jeera Biscuit Recipe